Join our adventure in The Kingdom of Tonga

The HTC and school

Well sorry it’s been awhile since we have posted, but to be completely honest not much has been going on. Karen has finally started her work, which is working with multiple grades on English skills in the morning and PE in the afternoon. She will also be working with the library to get that into shape and encouraging reading.

I have been working for what will eventually be called the Ha’apai Training Center. It located in a 3 story building here in Ha’apai and has a great view west and on really nice days you can see Tofua and Kao which are two volcanic islands located about 45 miles directly west of Lifuka. We as Peace Corps are no longer allowed to go to these islands because of a past groups misadventures there, but hopefully someday. Maybe we will be issued those balls that you can get inside like in New Zealand and we will just roll around in those all day so nothing can hurt us. That’d be cool.

I am working on getting the lab to specs for a training center with maximum class size of about 10 and then during other hours we are hoping to be able to supplement internet and power costs with an internet cafe. It’s going pretty well. I have gotten all of the faster machines (Pentium 3 1 ghz, ahhhhh!) running Windows XP and some slower machines (double ahhhhh!!) running Red Hat Linux 7. I would love to be able to get 2 Apple G4 dual processors to do some video editing classes so if there is anyone out there who wants to get rid of them let me know!! Please! I like to expose people to as many differing types of Operating Systems as possible and the various benefits of each.

Last week a fellow PCV, Grant, brought me a computer from an outer island to have me look at it. I knew immediately that the hard drive was dead by the hard drive click that is so normal with failed hard drives. What was interesting though was that the computer wanted to go to the CMOS every time you restarted the computer and wouldn’t get past it. So at any rate I took off the side and there were 4 places on the motherboard that dirt dobbers had made nests. Also some of the cables were hooked up wrong and the CMOS battery was dead. So after some 4 hours of cleaning the motherboard with my geology hand lens and pocket knife, taking out the failed hard drive (luckily there was another one in the case), replacing the CMOS battery, and hooking everything up correctly I reinstalled XP and it works great. I never thought that it would. Crazy what you face in the Tonga.

Picture Before: img_0931.jpg

Picture After: img_0961.jpg

We hope all is well with everyone!!

No comments yet»

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: